The Cedar Springs City Council adopted new rules for Elmwood Cemetery in 2006 with the intention of contributing to the beauty and dignity of the Cemetery.
These guidelines are as follows:
- The Department of Public Works reserves the right to remove or trim any tree or shrub. This includes any unsightly flowers or any items that are contrary to regulation meaning they no longer contribute to the beauty and dignity of the Cemetery.
- No fence or enclosure of any kind may be placed on or around any burial site.
- Glass containers, wire pins, shells, stones, tin cans, wooden crosses, balloons, solar lights and statues are prohibited. Digging holes in the sod is also prohibited.
- Urns or flower containers shall be placed on the side of the head stone. They should not encroach on other spaces.
- There is a limit of two decorations per space, of which one may be a Shepherd’s Hook. Pots may not be larger than 24 inches in diameter.
- Any grave decorations left after November 1st will be removed.
- Wreaths and sprays are permitted after Thanksgiving for winter decoration. No grave blankets are allowed.
- Foundations must be installed by the City Department of Public Works Department.
- No permanent plantings of any kind are allowed.
- All winter decorations must be removed by March 1st.