Thank-you to all applicants and interviewees. The City has offered this position to an interviewee and they have accepted.
The City of Cedar Springs is accepting resumes for the full time position of Finance Director/Treasurer. The City is looking for a professional team member who excels at customer service.
open until filled, first resume review 9-2-16
CITY OF CEDAR SPRINGS JOB DESCRIPTION
FINANCE DIRECTOR / TREASURER
Position Summary: Oversees accounting functions and front office activities related to Finance and Treasury. Collects taxes, maintains general ledger and ensures proper reporting of all financial matters.
Reports to: City Manager
Supervises: Deputy Treasurer, Utility Billing Clerk and others as assigned
Salary Range $47,487-54,610 plus comprehensive benefits package
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
An employee in this position is required to perform the following essential functions with or without reasonable accommodation. These examples are not an exhaustive list of the duties which the employee may be expected to perform.
1. Plans, organizes, and directs the day-to-day operations and staff activities of the finance/treasurer department. Trains staff and coordinates work assignments, develops, recommends and implements departmental policies and procedures.
2. Assists in the preparation of the annual budget, attends budget meetings and prepares budget reports and budget amendments.
3. Prepares financial statements, evaluates cash flow and prepares reports to Council.
4. Invests surplus funds in accordance with established investment policies, State and
5. Maintains the General Ledger and related accounting records. Tracks and posts accounts payable and accounts receivable. Balances bank statements.
6. Assists the City Manager in developing and administering the budget. Work with other departments in developing budget requests and revenue and expense projections. Provide guidance on accounting and reporting procedures, account discrepancies, tax regulations, and city fiscal policies..
7. Serves as purchasing agent and coordinates the city’s purchasing process. Assists with preparation of specifications, request for proposal documents and bid
packets, attends bid openings and maintains related records and files.
8. Ensures the accurate preparation and processing of payroll. Completes related yearend
activities including W-2s, 1099s and annual State reports.
9. Prepares various monthly, quarterly and annual reports and forms including:
Quarterly 941 report and unemployment tax report
Act 51 Report
Municipal Finance Qualifying Statement
10. Maintains employee insurances, including workers compensation.
11. Enters year-end adjustments and prepares for the annual audit. Gathers
information and assists auditors on site.
12. Prepares and balances tax rolls, prints tax bills, collects and balances payments,
settles with the County and disburses payments to other governmental units. Pursues
delinquent personal taxes.
13. Attends City Council meetings, special meetings, board and commission meetings
and others as required. Provides information and makes presentations.
14. Provides information and support for the City Manager. Tracks projects and
activities, collects data, prepares correspondence and reports and completes related
15. Work closely with auditors to ensure accuracy of financial reporting. Supervises the
year-end closing of financial records. Provide documentation and information. Plan,
direct and review the results of internal audits.
16. Performs other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REPRESENTATIVE QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and
ABILITIES: The requirements listed below are representative of the minimum qualifications, knowledge, skills,
and abilities required to successfully perform the essential functions of the position.
Requirements include the following:
• Bachelor’s Degree or the equivalent in finance, accounting or a related field.
• Five or more years of experience in accounting, financial management or a
related field, preferably in a municipal setting.
• Knowledge of the City Charter, local ordinances, state and federal laws, and regulations
pertaining to taxation and municipal finance.
• Knowledge of the principles and practices of finance, budgeting, accounting, cash
management, capital funding and general business administration and professional
• Skill in assembling and analyzing financial data, developing operating and capital
budgets, and preparing comprehensive and accurate reports.
• Skill in planning, directing and supervising the work of others.
• Skill in handling difficult public relations issues with tact and diplomacy.
• Skill in maintaining computerized accounting records and troubleshooting related
systems and software
• Ability to collect data, prepare accurate reports and present information to groups in a public
• Ability to coordinate multiple tasks and maintain attention to detail.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and use good judgment,
initiative and resourcefulness when dealing with employees, professional contacts, elected
officials, and the public.
• Experience with BS&A software and Microsoft Office a plus
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee
encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the job.
An employee in this position spends the majority of their time in an office setting with a controlled
climate where they sit and work on a computer for extended periods of time, communicate by
telephone or in person, and move around the office to assist customers and complete other
Candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and three (3) employment related references to:
City Manager – City of Cedar Springs
66 S. Main Street PO Box 310
Cedar Springs, Michigan 49319
or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.