The Kent Theatre was built as the Hubbard Opera House in 1880, and over the years was used for all types of entertainment and gatherings, including dances, chicken suppers, school graduations, fiddle contests, political rallies, plays, vaudeville productions, movies (both silent and talkies) and talent shows.
It passed through several owners and closed as a theatre in 1975. It was used as a print shop for several years. The current Cedar Springs Theatre Association bought it in 1998 and volunteers have worked non-stop, despite financial difficulty, to fund raise and make improvements to this historic landmark in the heart of Cedar Springs.
In order to afford the renovations, the theatre association raises money project-by-project with fundraisers and grants from foundations and businesses. The Kent Theatre is used for both films and live performances; plays, concerts, jam sessions, pageants and poetry readings. Visit the Kent Theatre website for information on upcoming events.
This information taken from the Northern Kent County Business & Service Guide published by the Cedar Springs Post.